Monday, June 20, 2011

another blog is born



What are those green cookies?


Where'd you get that lunch tray?


Does he really eat all that food?


I'll answer all these questions and more. Share recipes. Post pictures of before and after. Lunch accessory acquisitions, etc.


Most importantly, we're gonna have FUN!


Feeding my wee Hugh is one of the most important things I do every single day. I have taken great delight in feeding this child, since he was in my womb! As a wee growing baby, he'd start twitching every 2 hours *exactly*, to remind me to eat something. But feeding Hugh actually started way before he was even conceived. Truthfully, it started when I was learning to eat, myself! Though my own mother was tremendously (read: dreadfully) adventurous with food (octopus patties and egg foo yung for dinner!), she did impress us to make good choices. And she made a huge effort to feed us whole foods, made from scratch whenever possible. I truly appreciate that.


The second Hugh turned six months old, I offered him solid food. He wrinkled his face and spit it out. He could have cared less that it was a local, organic, perfectly steamed sweet potato. For the next few months, I tried all kinds of foods. I was just so excited to share the world of food with him and also desperate to not be his main source of nourishment. The two-hour timer continued 24 hours a day for Hugh!


Around 8 months, he grabbed a whole black bean off my dinner plate. I could tell his whole world just blew wide open. He quickly reached for another. And another. He has loved all kinds of beans since that day. It remains his absolute favorite food. But I didn't really have much to do with it. I ate it and I guess he wanted to eat what I was eating. I surely wasn't eating that bland sweet potato puree! What a smart little human, no?


When Hugh was about a year, I introduced popsicles. I wanted him to have more veggies and this was the only way I could figure out how to get him to eat a variety. It started with beets and parsley, mixed with banana, pineapple and apple juice. Now, I use anything and everything in his smoothie popsicles. He easily eats 5-10/day. PER DAY!


Check back often for new ideas on presenting wholesome food choices to young children!




3 comments:

  1. It would be great to get some popsicle suggestions too!

    -- Your faithful follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. check out the FAQ section, #9 for my secret popsicle recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are AWESOME! I just started tweeting mom things...www.twitter.com/AustinTXMomma and want to provide this link on one of my tweets. Is that OK?

    ReplyDelete