Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Wednesday, 6/22/11



Before...

steamed carrots, cheese to spread, raspberries, blueberries, sliced apple, cheese crackers, hummus in cup, ham balls, seeduction bread squares, green cookies (center)


After...


When I was pregnant with Hugh, I discovered DaBecca Black Forest Ham - nitrate free, humanely raised, and delicious. I've been ordering 1/3 pound, "shaved like snow", every week, ever since, with little interruption. I've found that there are only 2 deli counter people at Central Market who really know how to shred the ham so I can roll it into perfect little balls for Hugh. If I don't get one of those 2 people when it's my turn, I am very sad. Because what ensues is a small discussion about what I actually mean by "shaved" and "snow" and "shredded". So, the less able deli person will attempt to get it right and hold up a "thin" slice and say, "this is as thin as i can get it." To which I always reply, "i'm not asking for thin, i'm asking for pulverized. just do the very best you can, we really like it crumbly." and then under my breath, "i'm not your hamshreddingdoula! do i have to come back there and do it myself!?!?"

And then suddenly I feel like my mother. Which is not a problem really. Because now all her peculiar requests make absolute, perfect sense to me! In another 30 years I suppose her most current particulars will make perfect sense as well. Mothers know something!


Looky what I found! More ideas! More pretty pictures! Made Your Lunch



1 comment:

  1. LOVE this. Love you. Love the ham. Ham balls!! I'm going to try that. Even though it makes me gag a little.

    ReplyDelete